Owners of commercial or residential properties in Dayton have a duty to ensure that the environment on their premises is safe for all individuals present. The law in Ohio requires owners of residences, commercial establishments, or land to maintain their property in a way that doesn’t expose visitors to potentially hazardous conditions. Anyone injured due to a property owner failing to provide a safe environment may have a legal claim.
The term “slip and fall” can refer to a wide range of accidents. The only constant factor is that there were unsafe conditions or negligent maintenance on property belonging to a third party. Claims for slip and fall accidents are dealt with under an area of Ohio law referred to as premises liability.
Common Slip and Fall Accidents
Every year, many individuals in Dayton are injured in slip and fall accidents. There are many reasons why these accidents happen. The most common causes include:
- Walkways too steep for safe navigation
- Floor surfaces too slick or slippery from spilled liquids
- Failure to completely remove accumulated snow from walking area
- Stairs or steps not constructed or maintained in accordance with building codes and other relevant regulations
- Lawns or green areas on a property with holes or dips that are big enough to create a safety hazard
- Poorly maintained paved areas such as parking lots or walkways containing cracks or potholes
- Carpeting or rugs which hasn’t been properly secured.
How We Can Help
Anyone injured in a slip and fall accident in Dayton should consult a personal injury attorney with experience handling premises liability cases. Those who suffer injuries in this type of accident may be entitled to various forms of compensation including payments for medical bills, pain and suffering, loss of quality of life, and lost wages
Ohio law provides a limited window of time for the victim of an accident to file a claim against a property owner. This is why it’s important that you get in touch with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Ohio Accident Attorneys have the resources to get you in touch with an experienced Dayton slip and fall lawyer who can discuss your legal options. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.